- B.E.S. (1976) University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Doctor of Dental Surgery (1980) University of Minnesota School of Dentistry, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- American Dental Association
- Minnesota Dental Association
- Mission Dentistry in Sierre Leone, West Africa
Dr. Fondell and his wife, Lauren, live in Bloomington. Lauren is a clinical psychologist and teaches at the University of St. Thomas. They have two young adult children. Dayna is an RN and Will is working in financial services. Dr. Fondell is an avid fisherman and enjoys hunting, hiking, exercising, volunteering, dancing (kind of), and most outdoor recreation activities.